Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Onion fritters for tea and Nasi lemak for dinner on the rainy day....

At last the renovation work almost over except the installing of kitchen cabinets. The hard work for me is about 90% done too. Still the some of the kitchen stuff laying around in the living room . Can only keep them once the cabinets are ready. Hopefully by this coming weekend . Maybe i can host a BBQ gathering on the new year eve? I don't know but i hope i could . Soon after the school will start the 2008 sessions. I am looking forward when i will have have a few hours of my own time he he.....don't get me wrong here, i love spending time with my boys but i do enjoy the time where i am on my own and can do whatever i want.
And yayy....at last i can cook in my own kitchen. I love it. It is not fancy just practical for my daily cooking and baking. And today as usual, with my 3 rascals at home and the rain started just after noon, my second boy asked for 'cokodok' (fritters) at 4 o'clock. I made some with just flour, hot water, salt, pounded onion. We had the fritters with Lingam chili sauce......yum yum
I myself craving for something with coconut milk and i decided to cook Nasi Lemak for dinner.
Here my version of this easy to cook Nasi lemak. 3 cups of rice in the rice cooker, rinsed and add 150ml thick coconut milk with 200 ml water, salt to taste and 2 screw pine leaves roughly tear and make a knot. On the cooker and only gently stir just before the liquid dry up.
This time i made sambal udang. I need all these,
500 gm udang(shrimp)- cleaned
1 1/2 big onions - sliced
1/4 cup tamarind juice(water?)
1/4 cup thick coconut milk
20 dried chillies soaked in boiling water for a few minutes. Blend the chillies with 10 shallots, 3 garlics and half inch of shrimp paste.
3 tbsp oil

Heat the oil, and throw in the shrimps and sliced big onions. Fry until the onion wilt a bit and pour in the blended ingredients. Let it simmers for a few minutes, pour in the tamarind juice and let it simmers again. Add in the coconut milk and let it thicken a bit. Then enjoy the sambal with hot nasi lemak, plain eggs omelette, crispy fried anchovy( ikan bilis) and sliced cucumber like in the picture.......hmmmmm now i am feeling drowsy typing this ha ha ha.....

p/s, i encourage you to double click the pictures for a better view....

13 comments:

Ummi said...

Zai, dapur baru dah siap ek? Wah, mesti enjoy cooking n bersemangat gitu..hehe..Don't wanna share with us your new kitchen photo, hehe..? :D

maklang said...

boleh lah tunjuk gambar dapur tu pulak ye...

JUN said...

wooo..pas ni zai leh masak ngan bergaya, ecece...ade bbq k, hsewarming k, jemput jun taw! hehehe....

Pak Zawi said...

Zai,
Can't wait to see pics of your new kitchen.
Meanwhile I wont be cooking nasi lemak as it is more convenient to buy 1 pack of nasi lemak special with a piece of fried chicken taht can be shared by the two of us.
Did you heed my advice not to put the gas tank in the cabinet?

Pi Bani said...

Aiseh, lapar le pulak...

Jun said...

zai..datin? heheh..no wonder, someone asked me some times ago..wether u'r really a 'datin' or not..wahahaha...

zana @ ros hassan said...

k/zai....mengancam nye sambal udang tu. gerenti besh punya kena ngan nasi lemak k/zai tu. cara k/zai wat nasi lemak sama cam mertua zana. suka makan nasi lemak, sehari 3-4x pun boleh makan tauuuuuu

IBU said...

Zai... what?! double click for better view? more than happened la zai....droooooool all over.

I'm adding santan to my sambal 2mrw morning's nasi lemak, that's for sure. So timely bloghopping for me this time.

p/s gambar kitchen new look mana?

Unknown said...

Kak Zai,
Onion fritters and tea on rainy day? waduh waduh, syahdu habis(",). I am 'kitchenophobic', but I can managhe fritters I guess, and I would like to see your new kitchen too.

Lee said...

Hello Zaitgha, just dropped in to wish you and your family a very happy new year. All my best wishes and regards, Lee.

Jun said...

hehe..zai, dat someone asked bout u la..maybe he wonder wether u'r a real datin or not..i pon ckp, i'll ask u later..forgot already! til this one came up..heeee. how's ur kitchen? not ready yet? cant wait to enjoy ur cooking, hehehe...

Mior Azhar said...

Zai,
I had fritters made by Azian for breakfast this morning. But that nasi lemak of yours is really wicked lah. The sambal udang is oh sooo !@@##$%%^&
Happy New Year to you and family. Take Care.

zaitgha said...

Ummi,

About 80% siap he he...the cabinets are on the way...hopefully soon

mak lang,

segan la coz dapur tu simple jer...

jun,

tunggu budget next year for housewarming ha ha ha...tak lama pun and wonder why the datin question came up he he

Pak Zawi,

of course for the 2 of you buying the nasi lemak is better...and yeap as always my gas tank in not enclosed in a cabinet

Pi,

kalau lapar isi la tummy tu he he

zanaz,

sambal udang nih memang sedap..tapi kan kalau 3x sehari nasi lemak jadi tong drum la i ...sekarang nih pun sikit jer lagi nak dapat ukur lilit tong drum ha ha ha

ibu,

cuba la tapi sikit jer tau thick coconut milk tuh...nanti tidor siang sampai 4 jam pulak he he

Akmal,

belajar la masak...kalau dapat gi oversea nanti senang he he....dapur i simple jer....kalu i rasa tak segan i put up the pic once 100% complete nanti ek...

Lee,

thanks for the wishes and drop by for pisang goreng later....will have ice coffee for you

Mior,

Take care too and Happy New Year to you and family....as for the sambal udang i m sure Yan's is fantastic too....shes just a good cook